Job Posting: Team Therapist, 2018 Canadian Youth National Climbing Team
Training Camp, July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
World Youth Championships (WYCH), August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia
Date Posted: May 11, 2018
Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) is seeking one (1) qualified candidate to be Team Therapist for the 2018 Youth National Team. This is a volunteer position involving the training of lead, bouldering and speed athletes in preparation for this competition. The Team Therapist will be part of the Team Canada Officials, which also includes the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches and Team Manager.
PLEASE NOTE: The Team Therapist must attend the training camp and travel with the youth national team to the WYCH.
Team Canada Officials will work together to provide the best conditions possible for athletes to prepare and compete at the WYCH. The team officials will undertake the following roles:
- The Head Coach is responsible for: the overall administration of the program; gathering input from, and giving direction to, the team officials; team building; all team logistics; all technical and training components; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Head Coach is also a member of the committee responsible for selecting the athletes to the Youth National Team.
- The Team Manager is responsible for: coordinating the team application process; researching, planning, and coordinating all travel, accommodation, transportation and meals for the training camp and WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH.
- The Assistant Coaches are responsible for: assisting in the coordination of the training program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed) and the training days leading up to the WYCH; preparation of all athletes during the WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Assistant Coaches are also members of the committee responsible for selecting the Youth National Team.
- The Team Therapist is responsible for: developing an injury prevention program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed); assessing and monitoring the physical health of all athletes; providing on-site medical response as required; working with the athlete’s personal health providers when necessary; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and at the WYCH.
Term of Position: Terminates on August 31, 2018
Compensation: Travel, accommodation, and meal expenses for the training camp and for the individual(s) travelling to the WYCH as determined.
Application Deadline: May 22, 2018
Please e-mail a cover letter and climbing resume to the CEC Board, care of Greg Locke: email@example.com
Youth National Team: Team Therapist
Successful candidates will possess:
- a membership in good standing with the Canadian Athletic Therapist Association (preferred), the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, certification as a Registered Massage Therapist, or equivalent
- a minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with youth athletes and teams at least at the Provincial level (required) or National level (preferred)
- excellent people skills (required)
- excellent ability to work with others in a team with varied opinions and approaches (required)
- the ability to work with other coaches and athletes of all age groups (required)
- the ability to work with coaches of other countries (required)
- bilingual in English and French oral and written communication (preferred)
- a Criminal Record Check (required)
The successful candidate will be expected to attend the following:
- Youth National Team Training Camp: July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
- World Youth Championships (WYCH): August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia
Other responsibilities may include, but may not be limited to:
- monitoring the athletes’ overall health and wellness (physical and emotional)
- supervising the athletes both at and away from the competition venue, including helping with transportation, food and other nurturing needs of the athletes
- contributing to each athletes’ debrief at the end of the training camp and WYCH
- assisting with all team functions
- attending all team officials’ meetings
- contributing to team planning through the team officials’ Facebook group
- contributing to the final report after the WYCH
Climbing Escalade Canada encourages diversity in our sport and workplace and seeks applications from all qualified persons. Bilingual in French and English will be an asset.