The IFSC World Championships held every 2 years are the highest level of climbing competition. Accordingly, the CEC will select only athletes who have shown results, dedication and other performance metrics that indicate the best chance at achieving results in line with the HP program objectives stated below.
This selection policy is intended to ensure that selected athletes also meet the highest standards of athlete conduct that this responsibility requires.
It is the responsibility of all athletes to ensure that they comply with this policy, including attending required selection events, camps and execute all applications and understand all applicable terms and conditions by the relevant deadlines.
As part of CEC’s High-Performance strategy, this Policy will be reviewed annually and amendments may be made to ensure the Policy provides the best possible outcomes.
Please check for updates regularly.
The objectives of the selection committee and this policy are to:
- Select athletes who will achieve the following results at the World Championships:
- Semi-Final or better in one discipline
- Top 20 in Combined
- Select athletes who will represent Canada professionally at all times
- Select athletes who are ready for the developmental benefit in order to realize future potential.
III. GENERAL INFORMATION
A. CEC Endorsement
CEC is the national body responsible for the sport of Sport Climbing in Canada as recognized by the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC).
Athlete selection to Canadian World Championships team will be made by the selection committee.
To be eligible for consideration for selection to the Canadian WCH team, athletes must:
- be a Canadian citizen;
- have read, signed in agreement and returned the execution page of the CEC athlete agreement.
- be a current CEC National Level Member in good standing;
- meet the age requirement to participate in adult international competition under IFSC policy;
- agree to Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCEC) and WADA anti-doping policies (ADPs);
- agree to participate in and meet all competition, training and participation requirements as determined by the HP committee;
- be available for sample collection and have provided accurate and up-to- date whereabouts information on a regular basis as directed by IFSC and/or the Canadian Centre for Ethic in Sport (CCES), under the policies of IFSC and CCES and the World Anti-Doping Code (Code);
- not have breached any ADPs nor have had a sanction imposed which has not been completed. For the purpose of considering eligibility for selection, a breach of any ADP may include: (i). an athlete under investigation for an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) where an infraction notice has been issued or the athlete has been stood down under the provisions of any ADP; or ii. a failure to comply with an athlete’s obligations under an ADP, even if such a breach does not result in an ADRV.
C. Selection Committee
The role of assessing athletes against the selection criteria is the responsibility of the selection committee ratified by the CEC board.
The committee consists of:
- The High-Performance Director (HPD)
- The National Coach (NC)
- One representative of the HP committee other than HPD or NC.
The HPD will act as chairperson of the Selection Committee. In the case of unavailability or a conflict of interest the CEC Board may appoint a replacement selection committee member. Each selection committee member will vote on athlete selection in line with the selection criteria objectives and without bias. If panel members cannot agree, the chairperson will have the final selection decision.
These criteria and sub sections may be amended or supplemented, particularly where matters arise which have not been provided for in these criteria. All amendments must be approved by the CEC Board. If approved, the CEC will provide public notification in writing, any criteria amendment or supplement, and will endeavour to give as much notice as possible, to all persons affected by any such amendment or supplement.
There is no right of appeal to any athlete who is not selected under these criteria.
IV. WCH Selection Criteria – For each discipline
A. Automatic Selection
Athletes who achieve the following results will be automatically selected:
- World Cup (WC) Rank in current season in one discipline of 30 or better.
- World Cup (WC) Rank in current season in 2 disciplines equivalent to top 40% of the average World Cup field for that discipline (i.e. WC rank of 36 in boulder where average WC field is 90, WC rank of 16 in speed where average WC field is 40 etc).
- WC Combined Rank in current season of 30 or better.
- Semi-Final (Boulder or Lead) or Round of 8 (Speed) Result at any WC in any discipline for current season with a minimum field size of 50 registrants.
B. Regular Selection
Athletes who meet the following criteria will be considered by the selection committee:
- Top 4 Canadians in WC Rankings for each discipline for current season.
- Attend at least 3 WC events in current season.
- Athletes between ages of 16-21 who have top 20 results in any discipline or combined at YWCH in previous 24 months.
- Top 15 WC results in previous 24 months
- WC result in current season equivalent to top 30% of field (i.e. 30 or better in a field of 90)
- WC rank in current season equivalent to top 50% of average WC field for that discipline (i.e. WC rank of 40 where average field is 80)
Regular selection is at the sole discretion of the selection committee. Meeting the criteria to be considered does not guarantee selection.
- The WCH selection committee will consider the top 4 Canadians in the IFSC combined rank as if July 30 after and including the Arco Lead and Speed WC.
- Athletes not already selected through individual disciplines will be considered ONLY if they are in the top 4 Canadians in the combined rank.
- Athletes who have been selected through an individual discipline but DO NOT have a combined rank may be selected to participate in the combined provided they have at least 1 WC result in each discipline for the 2018 season.
The timing and notification for WCH selections is as follows:
- Automatic Selection
Athletes receiving an automatic selection will be notified when the automatic criterion has been achieved.
- Regular selection
Athletes selected under the Regular Selection criterion will be notified by July 1st, 2018. Later selection will be considered if athletes achieve one of the criteria after that date.
* All athletes selected under either Automatic or Regular criteria are subject to health and fitness evaluations at any time to confirm their ability to compete in peak form.
V. WCH Funding
A. Full Funding
The CEC will cover the following expenses for any athlete that qualifies through the Automatic Selection criteria:
- Airfare (economy class)
- Accomodation (to be arranged by team manager)
- Ground transportation
- Meals (to be arranged by team manager)
The number of athletes receiving full funding will be capped at 10.
Depending on the number of automatic selections, the CEC could fully fund athletes that are selected through the Regular Selection criteria
If the total number of athletes surpass 10, the CEC can choose to add additional funding to cover the full expenses for the entire team.
B. Partial Funding
If the CEC is unable to fully fund athletes beyond the Automatic Selections, the CEC can choose to partially fund the remaining athletes equally.