Job Posting: Assistant Coach, 2018 Canadian Youth National Climbing Team
Training Camp, July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
World Youth Championships (WYCH), August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia
Date Posted: May11, 2018
Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) is seeking four (4) qualified candidates to be Assistant Coaches for the 2018 Youth National Team. This is a volunteer position involving the training of lead, bouldering and speed athletes in preparation for this competition. The Assistant Coaches will be part of the Team Canada Officials, which also includes the Head Coach, Team Manager and Team Therapist.
PLEASE NOTE: Although four (4) individuals will be selected for this role, the number of individuals that will travel with the Youth National Team to the WYCH in Moscow has not been determined.
Team Canada Officials will work together to provide the best conditions possible for athletes to prepare and compete at the WYCH. The team officials will undertake the following roles:
- The Head Coach is responsible for: the overall administration of the program; gathering input from, and giving direction to, the team officials; team building; all team logistics; all technical and training components; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Head Coach is also a member of the committee responsible for selecting the athletes to the Youth National Team.
- The Team Manager is responsible for: coordinating the team application process; researching, planning, and coordinating all travel, accommodation, transportation and meals for the training camp and WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH.
- The Assistant Coaches are responsible for: assisting in the coordination of the training program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed) and the training days leading up to the WYCH; preparation of all athletes during the WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Assistant Coaches are also members of the committee responsible for selecting the Youth National Team.
- The Team Therapist is responsible for: developing an injury prevention program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed); assessing and monitoring the physical health of all athletes; providing on-site medical response as required; working with the athlete’s personal health providers when necessary; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and at the WYCH.
Term of Position: Terminates on August 31, 2018
Compensation: Travel, accommodation, and meal expenses for the training camp and for the individual(s) travelling to the WYCH as determined.
Application Deadline: May 22, 2018
Please e-mail a cover letter and climbing resume to the CEC Board, care of Greg Locke: email@example.com
Youth National Team: Assistant Coach
Successful candidates will possess:
- A current Standard First Aid certification, with CPR C and AED, or equivalent (required)
- a minimum of five (5) years coaching experience with a club team or youth program; during this time, must have coached at a minimum level of a Youth National Championships (required)
- experience in developing or assisting in the development of a youth competition climbing
programs, with duties including program design and implementation (required); this should also include working with speed athletes (preferred)
- have an excellent understanding of current IFSC competition climbing rules and regulations, including appeal procedures and International formats (required)
- worked as a route setter at Regional, National or higher-level competitions (preferred)
- excellent people skills (required)
- excellent ability to work with others in a team with varied opinions and approaches (required)
- the ability to work with other coaches and athletes of all age groups (required)
- the ability to work with coaches of other countries (required)
- certification with the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) in the Multi-Sport Module (asset)
- bilingual in English and French oral and written communication (preferred)
- a Criminal Record Check (required)
The successful candidates will be expected to attend the following:
- Youth National Team Training Camp: July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
- World Youth Championships (WYCH): August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia as determined
Other responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- aiding in the selection of the Youth National Team
- developing a training program for lead, bouldering and speed athletes to be instituted after each Youth National Championships
- assisting in the organization of the team training camp
- contributing to each athlete’s performance file, including observations from the competition season, Youth National Championships, training camp, the WYCH, and other interactions with the athlete
- monitoring the athletes’ overall health and wellness (physical and emotional)
- supervising the athletes at the competition venue, including helping with transportation, food and other nurturing needs of the athletes as required
- contributing to each athlete’s debrief at the end of the WYCH (if in attendance)
- assisting with all team functions
- attending all team officials’ meetings
- contributing to team planning through the team officials’ Facebook group
- contributing to the final report after the WYCH
Climbing Escalade Canada encourages diversity in our sport and workplace and seeks applications from all qualified persons. Bilingual in French and English will be an asset.