Job Posting: Team Manager, 2018 Canadian Youth National Climbing Team
Training Camp, July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
World Youth Championships (WYCH), August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia
Date Posted: May 11, 2018
Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) is seeking one (1) qualified candidate to be Team Manager for the 2018 Youth National Team. This is a volunteer position involving the training of lead, bouldering and speed athletes in preparation for this competition. The Team Manager will be part of the Team Canada Officials, which also includes the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches and Team Therapist.
PLEASE NOTE: The Team Manager will attend the training camp and/or travel with the youth national team to the WYCH if the logistics of the training camp and competition warrant their presence.
Team Canada Officials will work together to provide the best conditions possible for athletes to prepare and compete at the WYCH. The team officials will undertake the following roles:
- The Head Coach is responsible for: the overall administration of the program; gathering input from, and giving direction to, the team officials; team building; all team logistics; all technical and training components; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Head Coach is also a member of the committee responsible for selecting the athletes to the Youth National Team.
- The Team Manager is responsible for: coordinating the team application process; researching, planning, and coordinating all travel, accommodation, transportation and meals for the training camp and WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH.
- The Assistant Coaches are responsible for: assisting in the coordination of the training program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed) and the training days leading up to the WYCH; preparation of all athletes during the WYCH; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and WYCH. The Assistant Coaches are also members of the committee responsible for selecting the Youth National Team.
- The Team Therapist is responsible for: developing an injury prevention program for all athletes (lead, bouldering and speed); assessing and monitoring the physical health of all athletes; providing on-site medical response as required; working with the athlete’s personal health providers when necessary; and, supervising all athletes during the training camp and at the WYCH.
Term of Position: Terminates on August 31, 2018
Compensation: Travel, accommodation, and meal expenses for the training camp and for the individual(s) travelling to the WYCH as determined.
Application Deadline: May 22, 2018
Please e-mail a cover letter and climbing resume to the CEC Board, care of Greg Locke: email@example.com
Youth National Team: Team Manager
Successful candidates will possess:
- a current Standard First Aid certification, with CPR C and AED, or equivalent (required)
- excellent people skills (required)
- the ability to work with coaches and athletes of all age groups (required)
- experience planning trips for large groups of minors (preferred)
- experience caring for large groups of minors in a foreign country (preferred)
- excellent ability to work with others in a team with varied opinions and approaches (required)
- bilingual in English and French oral and written communication (preferred)
- a Criminal Record Check (required)
The successful candidate will be expected to attend the following as determined:
- Youth National Team Training Camp: July 1 – 7, 2018, Calgary, Alberta
- World Youth Championships (WYCH): August 7 – 19, 2018, Moscow, Russia
Other responsibilities may include, but may not be limited to:
- preparing a budget for both the WYCH
- booking accommodations, organizing food and transportation for Team Officials for the WYCH
- booking team-building activities, training facilities, and other events for the WYCH
- preparing the trip information portion of the application package
- collecting the necessary information to provide care for the athletes and other team officials while at the WYCH
- caring for the athletes in the host country (during training, at the competition, and at team events/activities) and in assisting team officials with their needs
- ensuring that proper athlete/team official ratios are maintained, that there is a first aid kit and trained first aider with athletes at all times, and that critical athlete information (allergies, medical information, emergency contact info, insurance info and passport copy), is with the athletes at all times (and carried by an official)
- acting as a liaison between the team officials and parents
- coordinating with the head coach to provide updates to Twitter/Facebook or other designated media
- monitoring the athletes’ overall health and wellness (physical and emotional)
- assisting with all team functions
- attending all team officials’ meetings
- contributing to team planning through the team officials’ Facebook group or other sanctioned media
- contributing to the final report after the WYCH
Climbing Escalade Canada encourages diversity in our sport and workplace and seeks applications from all qualified persons. Bilingual in French and English will be an asset.