CEC’s High Performance Program (HPP) is set for the 2021-2024 Olympic Cycle.
The HPP is separate from Event Teams Selections for International and Continental Competitions.
This is a high level overview of the Program and a few Key Components. For more complete details, please click on the links below.
- Download Full 2021-2024 HPP Document
- Link to Continuous National Ranking information
- Link to Event Teams Selections
Climbing Escalade Canada’s High Performance Program (HPP) enhances athlete development and performance through support from CEC Coaching Staff, invitations to Training Camps and access to Canadian Sport System resources.
The objective of the HPP is to increase the number of Canadian athletes achieving top 15 results at World Cup, World Championships and Olympic Games competitions.
CEC High Performance Program identifies athletes in Train to Compete, Learning to Win, and Winning for a Living stages of CEC’s Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) framework. The HPP is aligned with CEC’s high-performance strategies and funding partners, such as Sport Canada and Own the Podium (OTP).
There are 2 entry points to the HPP each calendar year:
- February 15th*
- Following the HP Competition for each discipline.
The Top 6 athletes in the Continuous National Ranking (CNR) at the time of each entry point will be selected to the HPP. There are a maximum of 12 spots per discipline and per gender available each calendar year.
*CEC regrets to inform athletes that the first intake to the HPP, which was scheduled for February 1, 2021, will be delayed by 2 weeks. This short delay is to ensure proper implementation of the Continuous National Ranking (CNR), and allow time for Coach Hroza to integrate into his new position and hit the ground running on February 15th, welcoming the first group of athletes to the 2021 High Performance Program!
Continuous National Ranking (CNR)
The Continuous National Ranking (CNR) calculates rankings based on athlete results across multiple levels of relevant competitions. The framework of CNR will remain consistent from season to season and is the basis for athlete selections to both the HPP and Event Teams for International and Continental Competitions. Details of the CNR will be posted in January 2021.
The HPP is supported by a dedicated team of coaches under the direction of the High Performance Director. Appointment of the coaching team will be completed and announced in January of each year of the program.
Athletes selected to the HPP benefit from invitations to the following HP Events:
- HP Competitions – These are full competitions with smaller/stronger fields and utilizing international routesetters (when possible). They offer the opportunity to collect valuable CNR points and compete on more intense and demanding boulders and routes.
- HP Training Camps – These are for the purpose of learning, development and progress assessments only (No CNR points). Only available to HPP athletes; may be regional (all HPP athletes from a region) or national (all HPP athletes from all regions). These are not mandatory.
2021 HPP Speed Qualification Times
To be selected for the 2021 Speed HPP, athletes must have a top 6 ranking in the speed CNR, and must meet the following minimum qualification times:
The selection process for Events Teams (World Cups, World Championships and Continental Events) is separate from HPP Selection.